Yes, you can use Chromecast with a non-smart TV as long as the TV has an HDMI input port.
But, NO, you can’t use a Chromecast all alone.12 Nov 2018
What is chromecast built in TV?
Chromecast is a small media streaming device that plugs into the HDMI port on your existing TV. Use your iPhone®, iPad®, Android phone and tablet, Mac® and Windows® laptop, or Chromebook to cast movies, games and music to the big screen.
How do I cast from my phone to my TV?
Step 2. Cast your screen from your Android device
- Connect your Android device to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast device.
- Open the Google Home app and go to the Account tab .
- Scroll down and look for Mirror device and tap on it.
- Tap on the CAST SCREEN/AUDIO button.
- Select your Chromecast device.
Can I get chromecast on my Samsung Smart TV?
Samsung Smart TVs to get Chromecast-like powers. Chromecast, however, functions differently. It shows content from a specific smartphone app, like Netflix, on the TV and then frees the phone to do something else or even just act as a remote control. That is the feature that will seemingly come to Samsung Smart TVs.2 Jan 2017
Photo in the article by “Wikimedia Commons”